The workshop activity has mainly involved minor maintenance to the track and some locos and stock: one major repair was carried out on van No.3. The van contains batteries and radio control equipment, and powers several of the electrically powered locos. In June the vehicle failed, it was completely dead, although the battery would still take a charge.
I first checked the fuse and then all the wiring, all seemed to be in order; I did a rewire anyway: this did not solve the problem. I then wondered if the speed controller had failed, so I replaced this with a new unit; still nothing: so I purchased a cheap 2.4gHz receiver and once it was bound, tried this with one of my existing transmitters, the van was still dead.
I eventually found the problem, the switching contact in the charge socket was not completing the circuit when the charging plug was withdrawn; I replaced the socket and have now wired it to the 'off' side of a double throw switch, avoiding the need to rely on the bypass contacts on the socket itself.
The original speed controller and 40Mhz receiver were put back in the van; the new receiver and speed controller have been earmarked for another project, so the expenditure on these was not in vain.