The majority of the enhancements came from the Locoworks range comprising: cab doors, cab step overlays, running boards, lubricator set and inner tank sides. In addition I added name and number plates from MDC, I painted the cab interior cream above the waistline and painted a thin strip of black along the bottom of the tank sides.
The Locoworks parts are either screwed in place using existing screws or glued with 2 part epoxy resin. To fit the cab doors and inner tank sides, the body has to be removed by simply undoing 2 screws and 2 nuts. While the body was off I painted the cab interior and the black strip along the bottom as well as applying black paint to the parts of the existing cab steps that would still be visible after applying the overlays.
The window glazing had to be removed before painting the cab interior; it was quite a fiddle getting the windows back on after painting and I managed to scratch one glazing unit with the screwdriver I was using.
MDC name and number plates were fixed in place with a thin smear of silicone adhesive. Company crest transfers were applied to the cab sides and sealed with clear varnish once they were dry. I also painted the brass roof hinge screws with Railmatch satin BR Maroon enamel, once these were dry, they were given a top coat of varnish so that they would match the body colour. The body was then refitted to the chassis.
I then removed the buffers and buffer beams, I drilled 2 x 1.6mm dia holes in each beam to take 10BA fixing bolts for my standard Accucraft chopper couplings at 28mm height. The buffer beams were replaced using Locoworks prepainted hex head bolts, in substitution for the original slotted screws.
In the future I may put some real coal in the coal bunkers, and replace the damaged glazing.