Up to this point, the 'Bertie' power unit had received about 5 hours of running, requiring another 5 hours to be fully run in; consequently it was still a bit erratic and lively in operation.
I found I was unable to light the burner and I could hear no gas escaping as I opened the gas regulator. I put this down to the fact that the replacement brake handle control I had fitted to the gas tap was binding on the inside of the tram body. I had no option but to remove the tram body and then replace the brake handle with the original gas control knob. Once that was done, steam was raised in about 5 minutes.
Before painting the loco I had manually pushed it right round the railway in order to check the clearances of my rather restricted loading gauge. I only did this in one direction, thinking this would be sufficient.
Due to the short wheelbase of the power unit and the size of the tram body, there is a lot of overhang, causing the loco to waggle about a lot, especially on curves and at speed.
There is a 'hole in the sky' in the indoor section where the line leaves Carndonagh station and runs through the backscene, curving to the left and running under the storage area in the workshop, then emerging outside. The loco, running rather too fast was approaching this hole from the opposite direction (into the workshop and Carndonagh) when the top left corner of the roof fence made contact with the edge of the hole, removing some paint and bending the roof post, causing the roof fence to bow outwards.