The smokebox and chimney was then given two coats of matt black paint before being re-fitted to the boiler front. The loco was then given a steam test to check that all joints were steam tight and to audition the effect from the chuff pipe (which is very impressive).
It was then time to turn my attention to the new cab and the original tank sides. The paint scheme is dull black for this loco so I ordered the Roundhouse replacement cab in black. This is however in a gloss finish so I gave the paintwork a good rub down with wet and dry paper, wet, to prepare it for painting. I also did this with the original blue tank sides after giving them a thorough de-greasing.
Next I gave the cab interior two coats of satin cream enamel paint. The cab roof was also rubbed down and has received two coats of matt black. The cab and tank sides have just had a first coat of Precision dull black applied by brush and this will be rubbed down when dry to prepare the surfaces for the next coat of paint.