Before starting on the detailing, I removed the wheels, couplings and axleguards. I then sanded off most of the paintwork on the inside of the wagon body to give a distressed and used look. The main feature of the wagon that I was not happy with was the rather overscale looking end supports, so I removed these with the aid of a pair of fine nose pliers. These came off easier than I expected. New end supports were cut from lengths of plastic 'angle iron' supplied in Garden Railway Specialists open wagon detailing set. These were than fixed in place with cyano glue.
I then turned my attention to the wagon sides and drilled 3 holes in each of the 6 supports (in the centre of each of the 3 planks) and glued rivets in to these. I also fitted 4 rivets to the headstocks, 2 each where the solebar joins to the headstock.
The components in an IP Engineering solebar detailing set were then fixed to the solebars with cyano. the straight and curved axleguard fixing bolt washers need to line up with the W irons, so I temporarily re-fitted the axleguards to help line these up.
The dummy handbrake assembly was discarded and replaced with a working handbrake set from IP Engineering ref. W6. The kit includes a full set of instructions and all parts including rivets, pins and chain. The appropriate wheel set needs to be temporarily re-fitted to assist with lining the brake shoe up correctly. The brake gear was assembled using cyano adhesive and went together with no problems. I have several of the sets and will be fitting these to some wagons I will be building in the future. The working handbrake is very useful for ensuring a wagon stays put in a siding on a windy day.
Before painting, I masked the newly scrubbed floor and insides of the wagon ends and the wagon sides were masked with the exception of the riveted uprights in order to preserve the lettering. The wagon was sprayed with my usual grey auto primer in a spray can. The brake gear and builder's plate were then picked out in acrylic matt black.
The wagon was then reassembled, new load data transfers were applied to the sides (the old ones were a bit flaky) and new number 11s applied to the ends. Finally the wagon was given a few light wafts of olive drab from a spray can to give a slightly weathered look. I am not very good at weathering techniques but this method works for me and I will be using the same process on all wagons as they come through the workshop for any maintenance.