The railcar after removal of the motor and gearbox.
Further to my post of 26th March where I reported that the Drewry railcar had developed gearbox trouble, I have decided to fit a replacement. I have removed the motor gearbox unit, to do this I had to remove one solebar. I screwed the solebars in place when I built the railcar in order to make removal for access easier but fittings such as the steps and battery box were guled on to them and these had to be cut off to allow dismantling of the chassis. The ill fated railcar (I dropped it last year causing a fair bit of body damage) is now dismantled awaiting delivery of the new gearbox unit and hopefully it will be back in service soon. The model railcar is following in the footsteps of its full size counterparts which were fairly unreliable and were worn out after eight years service.