In order to bring this loco into the TBLR fleet, I gave it a repaint into the standard black livery. I also decided to remove the third headlamp at roof level, as this gave the front of the loco a rather cluttered look. I had considered converting the loco to battery power but there is not much space inside (the boiler is filled with a lead weight) and I would have to sacrifice some of the interior detail to make room for batteries; I fitted my standard flying lead and plug instead, which connects to the radio control van number 3.
First the loco was dismantled into its component parts; the pick ups were removed from the chassis block, and following removal of the surplus headlamp, the mounting holes were filled with Milliput. I removed the glazing with its shiny chrome edging, to be replaced by clear plastic sheet after painting. The boiler is the one produced for the LGB Stainz loco, minus all the fittings, which leaves several gaping holes, these were also filled, the boiler was then painted matt black. The body was given two coats of matt black inside and out and the ceiling was painted cream. The moulded makers plates were picked out in brass enamel as were the first two digits of the number 102, making it number 10. The shiny chrome bits; bell, whistle and handrails, were toned down with oily steel enamel. Once the TBLR crests were applied, the body was given a coat of spray satin varnish.
The visible area of the pinkish red cab floor was painted matt black and the skirts were painted with acrylic brick red. My standard Accucraft chopper couplings were fitted at 28mm height (1ft 10 1/2 inches in 15mm scale, as per the Ballymena and Larne Railway).
Once reassembled the loco was given a test run, it ran well but unfortunately the 40 year old motor screamed like a banshee. Removing the motor and spraying the bearings and commutator with WD40 rectified the screaming, but it still makes some rather odd noises; I may have to obtain a replacement motor.